Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Wild Bunch

Every few years I throw, The Wild Bunch, into my video player (I believe I first viewed it on VHS), just to see if Im still human I guess. In a bit over 2 and 1/2 hours this movie packs in more truth about human psychology and ideas of justice, honor and hope than any other film, with the possible exception of the Godfather I and II. It is not a great Western, in fact it is a movie depicting the death of the western, muses over what it was and what it could have been and what it will never be. It is not a movie dealing in strict realism. These events could never really happen as depicted. All the scenes are set up like a chess problem, not meant to show an actual flow of true events but to show, given the crude limitations of reality, a higher arrangement of beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment